Cogswell’s Grant was the summer home of renowned collectors Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little. The Littles purchased this 165-acre property overlooking the Essex River in 1937 and carefully restored the 1728 farmhouse, preserving original finishes and documenting their work through photographs. They donated the property to Historic New England in 1984. There are open fields, salt marshes and beautiful views of the Essex River. The buildings are open for tours June 1- Oct 15th. The property continues to be run as a working farm.
For ECTA Webmap Sponsorship, click here.
Our full-size pdf version of the Cogswell’s Grant map is still in progress. Please check back later.
- Dog walking
- Cross-country skiing
- Grounds open dawn til dusk, year round
- No hunting
- Dogs are also allowed off-leash as long as owners retain voice control and keep a close eye out to clean up after them around the museum
- Visitors should stay alert to ongoing farm activities and yield to farm staff
- Buildings open for tours June 1 – October 15, Wed – Sun, 11 am – 4 pm ($5-$10)
60 Spring Street, Essex. From Route 128, take Exit 15, turn onto School Street towards Essex and follow to junction with Route 133. Turn left on Route 133 west (Main St.), bear right at intersection of Route 22, then turn right onto Spring Street and follow to the end. There is a large parking area in the field at the end of the road on the right.